P90X is a popular home workout program created by fitness guru Tony Horton and Beach Body CEO Carl Daikeler. It claims to get you ripped in 90 days. You will also get in better shape and stronger after the intense 90-day training. All you need to do is follow Tony Horton’s demonstrations of the workouts on each of the DVDs, six days a week, for a total of only 13 weeks.
P90X comes with a nutrition plan, a fitness guide with all the workouts and information for following the system and a series of DVDs that are broken up into various workouts designed to confuse your muscles over a 90 day period. And that ‘Muscle Confusion‘ is what sets P90X apart from other programs.
What Is Muscle Confusion?
By hitting your muscles at various angles throughout the week, and then by changing it up every few weeks, your muscles won’t have a chance to plateau. Your body and muscles will just keep growing and getting stronger until you end up with a thinner, more ‘ripped’ you.
The P90X workout program comes with 13 DVDs. These include:
- A “How to Bring It” Introduction: Watch this DVD first so that you can understand what’s going on and also so that you can be introduced to the program’s host, Tony Horton.
- Chest and Back: About an hour’s worth of chest and back exercises.
- Plyometrics: Jumping exercises that work the fast twitch muscles in your legs.
- Shoulders and Arms: This DVD will help you get impressive arms like Tony Horton himself.
- Yoga X: A great yoga program that will have you stronger and more limber with better peace of mind.
- Kenpo X: If you’ve ever wanted to learn Karate, this is your chance. Kick and punch your way to being ripped in 90 days with Tony and crew.
- X Stretch: The ultimate flexibility workout for helping your body recover.
- Legs and Back: An intense workout that will have you whimpering at the end, guaranteed.
- Ab Ripper X: Don’t expect the common crunch in this DVD. These exercises will help you build that 6 pack that turns heads, for sure.
- Core Synergistic: If you want to be fit, you must build up your core and this workout does exactly that. Make sure you have a mat, because you’re going to be getting down and dirty.
- Chest, Shoulders and Triceps: A more advanced workout for Phase 2 and 3. Take your upper body to the next level.
- Back and Biceps: If you want guns, this is the workout that will help you get them.
- Cardio X: If you think you have great endurance, this workout will definitely put your body to the test.
How It Works
P90X is incredibly intense and not for the faint of heart, but the program does offer three routine variations Classic, Doubles, Lean depending on your health and fitness goals. That means that P90X is completely customizable.
The P90X workouts overview
The entire P90X workout is broken up into three phases. Each phase is designed to work your muscles from certain angles, and then those angles will be switched in the following phases to assist with muscle confusion. To complete the workout, you only need to keep pushing play. Beyond that, you should get a mat, some weights or exercise bands and a chin-up bar. Then, follow the three phases through the 90 days, while following the included healthy eating guide and you’ll be ripped in 90 days.
Is P90X Right for You?
The bottom line is that you need tons of motivation to get through the 90 days with P90X. The program is completely designed so that you don’t have to think much about it. You just ‘Keep Pushing Play’ as the mantra is repeated over and over. But sadly, many never get past the 60 days. But if you are motivated and you want to get into the best shape of your life, you only need to read a few of the testimonials and see some of the before and after photos on the Beachbody forum to know that P90X and Tony Horton are the real deal. Are you ready to get in the best shape of your life? This program can definitely help you get there as long as you’re willing to bring it, push play and you’re willing to follow Beachbody’s and Tony’s advice for maximizing the program so that you see the absolute best fitness results.